Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A little bit Italian...

When I want something REALLY easy to make for dinner I boil some pasta and thaw out some of my home-made marinara sauce!  The process to make the marinara takes a good long while, but it is mainly just simmer time on the stove!  I use this sauce for just regular spaghetti,  baked penne pasta, and for pizza sauce... it could just as easily be adapted for anything where you need a tomato sauce.

To make my marinara you need:
1 BIG can of crushed tomatoes (I usually get the kind with basil already in it)
1 BIG can of diced tomatoes
1 regular can of diced tomatoes (or whole if you like your sauce a little chunkier)
1 small can of tomato paste
2 onions, diced
2 tablespoons EVOO
3 tablespoons of minced garlic
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tablespoons dried granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
2-3 bay leaves

Start by heating the oil in a big pot.  Saute the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes.  Add ALL the spices and saute for a few more minutes.  Add all the cans of tomatoes and stir so that all the spices are pretty incorporated with the tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer.  Taste your sauce and this point and see if you need more salt, garlic, or basil.  The three flavors should be there when you taste your sauce. I usually end up adding more garlic and basil.  Simmer on the stove for AT LEAST 2 hours, but I usually do a minimum of 3, and stir every 10-15 minutes.   Taste as you go! Sometimes you need more seasoning- don't be afraid to add more seasoning!! If you think your sauce is getting a little too thick, add a little bit of chicken broth or another can of diced tomatoes.  This makes 4 different meals worth of sauce for Billy and I.  I just put the sauce into zip lock bags and then freeze.

I ALWAYS have this in my freezer!  When I open my last bag, I make sure that I make more that day, or the next weekend.

When I am ready to eat, I just take the sauce out and defrost it in some warm water.  Last night I cooked some turkey meat with garlic, parsley, basil, and salt and then added the defrosted sauce for a few minutes before draining and adding the pasta.

The process of making the sauce, not so fast... the process of eating it once defrosted? SUPER fast! (and good!) Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment