Saturday, August 13, 2011

New meal!

For my weekly never before meal Billy grabbed Chicken wings, mini potatoes, and a shallot.  I grabbed artichokes, a bottle of white wine, and lemons.  I decided to make lemon, oregano and thyme chicken with mini potatoes and artichokes.

I grow a lot of my own herbs- thyme and oregano being two of the varieties I currently have.... trust me, I do NOT have a green thumb! In fact, I am pretty good at killing plants.... I just grow my own stuff because 1) I'm cheap! and 2) this way I know I'll have it when I need it! I just used the last of my oregano, so I need to find another plant.  I also grow basil, tomatoes, jalapenos, and parsley.  We had an explosion of tomatoes getting ripe this week, and I need to either make a LOT of salsa or find something to make them with!  I think salsa may be in the cards!!:)

The chicken turned out reallllllyyyyy good, but I think I would use either a chicken breast next time, or maybe drumsticks..... the darker meat just stays so flavorful!! Chicken wings are just hard to eat if they aren't fried!!!

Here's what I used:
1 very juicy lemon, zested and juiced- use 1 1/2 if your lemon is not so juicy
1/4 cup of white wine
1/2 tablespoon oregano if fresh- less if dried
1 teaspoon fresh thyme.
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons lemon pepper
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 shallot, minced
one package of chicken wings or breasts or drumsticks
Combine all the ingrediants in a plastic bag and then add the chicken.  Marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours.

When ready to cook, preheat the over to 400.  Put the chicken and the marinade in a 13X9 baking dish.  cover pretty tightly with foil and cook for about 40 minutes.  Take the foil off and turn the broiler on, broil for about 5 minutes so the top gets a little crispy! Remove the chicken from the pan, then pour the juices in a little pot and reduce on the stove by about half.

While the chicken is working, you can make a marinade for the artichokes.
You'll need:
1 lemon
1/4 cup white wine
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon EVOO
2 teaspoons thyme
2 cleaned artichokes

Combine the marinade ingredients in another bag. Add the artichokes.  Marinade the artichokes on the counter for a few minutes-- until the chicken has about 30 minutes to go.

Pour the artichokes and about half of the marinade in a baking dish.  Cover with tinfoil, but make a small vent in the foil.  Cook for about 25-30 minutes.

And, last but defiantly not least were the potatoes! I am not a huge potato fan unless they are fried into french fries, but these were EXCELLENT!!
For the potatoes:
1 bag of mini potatoes
2 tablespoons EVOO
salt
pepper
garlic powder

toss the potatoes in the evoo and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Bake in the oven with the chicken and aritchokes for about 20-25 minutes.  While the chicken is broiling, broil the potatoes too!! They get even crispier!!

Oh, and that sauce you reduced? Use it on the chicken, and then dip the potatoes in it while you are eating! They are SOOOOOO good! I think they may have been my favorite thing last night.

If you want, you can make a simple butter sauce for the artichokes, but I thought they were fine without it and actually mixed some of the butter sauce with the chicken sauce for an even better dipping sauce for the  potatoes!

This one is defiantly a keeper!!


Picture courtesy of my sweet husband, Billy!

No comments:

Post a Comment