Monday, August 1, 2011

Weekend Feasts

  This weekend was full of good times and good food! Saturday was my mom's birthday, so I cooked dinner for her and my family!
   My mom LOVES fish tacos.  However, there aren't many places in town that have fish tacos that are any good.  I just happen to have a recipe that is pretty dang good!

Fish tacos- This recipe is more of an estimate for each ingredient rather than exact measurements!
4 tilipia fillets
2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
a good pinch of pepper
a little pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all the dry ingredients on a plate.  Dry the tilipa fillets on paper towels, and then dip the fillets in the dry mix on each side.  DO NOT make the mix too thick on the fish or it will just burn on the outside of the fish.  In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high heat.  Once the oil is hot, place the fish in. Cook for about 2 minutes and then flip the fish over.  Cook for another one to two minutes.

I cut the tilipa in half, and then place it in a 10 inch tortilla shell with cheese, bagged cole slaw mix, salsa, and sauteed onions. Yum!!

For a side dish, I serve either yellow rice or a corn side dish.

** I forgot to take pictures of my food on Saturday, but this is pretty much what they look like!**

Sunday, I had some of my work friends over for a cookout.  I made beer can chicken, pasta salad, and grilled corn!

The beer can chicken is super easy to make, but I found out Sunday that whole chickens are NOT easy to cut up! All those people on food network just make it look so simple, but that was the hardest part of the whole meal for me!! It may not have been the prettiest after I finished, but it sure was good!

To make the beer can chicken you need a beer, whole chicken (about 3-4 lbs), grill seasoning, salt, pepper, a couple of garlic cloves, and oil.

Start by removing the giblets and any extra fat from inside the neck and inside the bird. Rinse the inside and outside of the bird with cold water.  Pat the bird dry- inside and out.  Oil the outside and inside of the bird.  Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and gill seasoning inside and outside the bird.  Cover the bird and let it rest in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  When you are ready to grill, pre heat your grill on one side to 350 degrees.  Open the can of beer and drink/ pour out about half of it.  Add the garlic cloves, and more grill seasoning, salt and pepper to the can.  Punch 3 to 4 extra holes in the top of the can.  When your grill is pre-heated, place the chicken on the beer can and put it on the non-lit side of the grill.  We put our can on some tin-foil.  Your beer can chicken should be standing straight up!  It looks a little silly, but the beer bastes the chicken from the inside out while cooking and makes the chicken super flavorful and moist.  The chicken cooks for about 20 minutes per pound.  Check the chicken every so often to make sure that it isn't browning too fast!  If it looks like its getting a little too brown too quickly, then turn your grill down just a bit and tent the chicken with tin foil.  Use an instant read thermometer to make sure your chicken is done, and then take it off the grill still standing up.


CAREFULLY pull the beer can out of the bottom of the bird using oven gloves or tongs.   Let the bird rest for at least 10 minutes and then you can start to carve it.

This is where I ran into a problem-- Carving a cooked and hot chicken is no easy feat! I used a tutorial that I found online to help me.  Just google how to carve a chicken and you can find step by step directions.  They make it look easy, but I didn't have an east time at all! :(

The important thing is that it tasted GREAT!


We had a GREAT time on Sunday.  Our friends' little girl was just in love with playing in Abby's bed.  Abby the baby and Abby the puppy love each other!!

Eat and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment