Friday, August 19, 2011

nEW

Oh, yes, that EW is capital in the title!  For this weeks "new" dinner, Bill grabbed a package of frozen seafood.  There were mussels, clams, octopi, cuttlefish, small peices of cod, and shrimp.  And it was all already cooked. And it smelled bad before the bag was open.  (not like it had gone bad, but like it was already overcooked) I encouraged him to change his mind, but he said it was either the bag of seafood "stuff" or the $17 and pound frozen crayfish that they had at the seafood counter.  Being the cheap girl that I am, I decided to go for the seafood stuff..... MISTAKE!!!

I also got a half pound of shrimp becuase it was on sale, and I figured that it would be ok with the bag-o-seafood. 

I started by defrosting the bag-o-stuff and shelling the shrimp.  They went in the fridge while I made the base for what I am calling my seafood stEW. 

I used:
1 package of frozen corn
1 regular sized can of tomaotes
2 Onions, diced
2 tablespoons of basil, minced garlic, parsley and oregano
2 tablespoons of butter and EVOO
2 teaspoons  salt
1 cup chicken or seafood stock
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white wine
1 packaged cooked  bag-o-seafood, thawed
1/2 lb of shrimp, shelled and chopped in half
2 cups cooked rice

I started by heating the oil and butter in a large pot, and added the onion and garlic. Cook for until the onions are soft and add everything except the seafood and the shrimp.  Put a lid on your pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the seafood and cook until the raw shrimp is cooked (4-5 minutes).  Serve over the rice. 


If I would have had all fresh ingrediants I think this would have been pretty good. I tried the sauce before I put the seafood in, and it was quite flavorful!  The bag of stuff was just not good....I should have used fresh stuff.... I am not a huge fan of mussles or clams, so I may not have used them, but Billy likes them.  I have to say it again, the bag-o-stuff was just not good!  Billy pretended to like it for a little bit, but then even gave up. 

Oh well, not everything can be great! All that matters is that I'm still trying to make new things and that I am working towards becoming a better cook!

Eat something good for me-- just don't eat that bag-o-seafood! yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment